5 Requirements of Affidavit of Support Form: An affidavit of support form is a legal document created in purpose to gain acceptance of a spouse who is seeking an American identity card, also known as the green card from government.
The person signing this affidavit of support form is often referred to as the financial sponsor. Commonly, a financial sponsor is the same as the sponsoring spouse.
If you are not sure whether you qualify for a marriage-based green card based on your income,there are many ways to check. The easiest way would be via online by surfing through some website that might check your eligibility without providing any additional personal information. This way, you can keep your personal data safely. However, you should always be careful when selecting a website.
In this article, we provide you with some information on the income requirements for a financial sponsor. In the following is a short summary of it.
- The financial sponsor must be a holder of U.S. green card of at least 18 years old and living in the United States for a prolonged period of time.
- The financial sponsor must have an annual income that is at least 125% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines. The rate depends on how many people are there in your household. The higher your income will need to be to meet the requirements.
- The financial sponsor can also use assets to meet the requirements. These assets includes wealth in the form of cash, stocks and bonds, and property (for instance, a house).
- The sponsoring spouse is allowed to have a household member or a non-family member help meet the income requirements, that is if the sponsoring spouse does not meet them alone.
- The spouse seeking the green card, often referred to as the beneficiary, may also use his or her own income to meet the financial requirements.But this comes with a requirements of proof that only as long as this income will continue from the same source after the green card is obtained.
As mentioned on the paragraphs above, the affidavit of support form is essentially a contract between the financial sponsor and the U.S. government. The government has the right to recover from the financial sponsor certain public benefits such as Supplemental Insurance Income (SSI) and Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) used by their spouse after obtaining a green card.
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has proposed changes to the rules that determine who can receive a green card or other visa, by redefining what makes a person dependent on public benefits (or likely to be in the future).
Affidavit of Child Support Form
Affidavit of Support and Consent Form
Blank Affidavit of Support Form
Decision Affidavit of Support Form Download
Sample Affidavit of Support Form in PDF
Sponsor Affidavit Annual Cash Support
The Limit of Affidavit Support
The financial sponsor’s obligations under the affidavit of support end only when one or more of four following things may occur:
- The death of either spouse.
- The spouse seeking a green card becomes a U.S. citizen.
- The spouse seeking a green card has worked for 40 quarters in the United States.
- The spouse seeking a green card moves out of the United States permanently.
If you have been a financial sponsor for others in the past, either as the primary sponsor or as a secondary co-sponsor, everyone you sponsored in the past will need to be counted as you get ready to file a new Affidavit of Supportunless one of the events mentioned above has happened and your obligations to that person have ended.
Hopefully, from this article you get the peace of mind that answers your confidential questions and reviews in regards of completing an affidavit of support form.